On Monday, July 28, 2014 05:55:40 PM you wrote:
> > All tapes written with a blocksize smaller than 32K must be rewritten.
> > They probably needs to be erased before relabeling with a different
> > block size.
>
> ... phew. A bit of a task for a productive environment.
>
> How to erase? dd something?
> Could you provide a howto (maybe later on the wiki) ?
>
> Thanks!
> Stefan

I actually had to do this once, I used this script with an LTO-3 changer:

#!/bin/sh

# $1 = slot
# $2 = tape name

/usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg3 load $1
/bin/mt -f /dev/st0l compression 0
/bin/mt -f /dev/st0l setblk 32768
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l compression 0
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l setblk 32768
/bin/dd if=/dev/zero bs=32768 count=200 of=/dev/st0l
/bin/mt -f /dev/st0l compression 0
/bin/mt -f /dev/st0l setblk 32768
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l compression 0
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l setblk 32768
/usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload $1
/usr/sbin/amlabel -f DailySet1 $2 slot $1
/bin/mt -f /dev/st0l compression 0
/bin/mt -f /dev/st0l setblk 32768
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l compression 0
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l setblk 32768
/usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload $1

It worked ... and apparently I had some problems with the different tape device
aliases along the way, although I don't remember the particulars. It probably
does more things than are strictly necessary.

I also seem to remember that one time a drive started dying, and one of the
symptoms was block size errors ... if you continue to have problems, it may be
a hardware issue.