Am 28.07.2014 19:13, schrieb Alan Hodgson:
> On Monday, July 28, 2014 05:55:40 PM you wrote:
>>> All tapes written with a blocksize smaller than 32K must be rewritten.
>>> They probably needs to be erased before relabeling with a different
>>> block size.
>>
>> ... phew. A bit of a task for a productive environment.
>>
>> How to erase? dd something?
>> Could you provide a howto (maybe later on the wiki) ?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Stefan
>

> I actually had to do this once, I used this script with an LTO-3 changer:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # $1 = slot
> # $2 = tape name
>
> /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg3 load $1
> /bin/mt -f /dev/st0l compression 0
> /bin/mt -f /dev/st0l setblk 32768
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l compression 0
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l setblk 32768
> /bin/dd if=/dev/zero bs=32768 count=200 of=/dev/st0l
> /bin/mt -f /dev/st0l compression 0
> /bin/mt -f /dev/st0l setblk 32768
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l compression 0
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l setblk 32768
> /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload $1
> /usr/sbin/amlabel -f DailySet1 $2 slot $1
> /bin/mt -f /dev/st0l compression 0
> /bin/mt -f /dev/st0l setblk 32768
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l compression 0
> /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0l setblk 32768
> /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload $1
>
> It worked ... and apparently I had some problems with the different tape
> device
> aliases along the way, although I don't remember the particulars. It probably
> does more things than are strictly necessary.
>
> I also seem to remember that one time a drive started dying, and one of the
> symptoms was block size errors ... if you continue to have problems, it may
> be
> a hardware issue.

Thanks for the script ... I don't have a changer there ... and I would
have to do the erasing before every single amdump ... because if I do it
for all the tapes in one session, there are no valid backups anymore ;-)

Maybe I just keep amanda-3.3.3 there for now ... I have to plan this
somehow.

For the hw-issues: I will soon do some test-restores ...

btw: as amanda is able to eject tapes now after amdump, it would also be
fine if we could tell it to disable compression before backups as well,
right? (sure, via boolean parameter in amanda.conf)

thx, Stefan