On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 05:08:38 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Crazy.  There is no evidence of that shown by an ls -l being executed
> anyplace in that tree.

Gene, you asked about this on the bug-tar list back in March, and I
thought Paul succeeded in convincing you that all the directories that
cause these "directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped" message
are indeed mount points:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2014-03/msg00006.html

Note that in a way the point of the Unix single-root file hierarchy is
that you don't notice in normal operation (i.e. "ls -l") where one
filesystem ends and the next begins (unlike, say, Windows, which has a
separate drive letter assigned to each filesystem).

(Also, if in fact these directory entries _were_ symlinks, they actually
would show up in the "ls -l" output, with "-> <target>" at the end of
the output line.)

As others have mentioned, you can easily tell what directories are the
roots of mounted filesystems by looking at the output of the "mount"
command (as you listed in
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2014-07/msg00041.html
).  You'll see that all the directories getting these "different
filesystem" messages in your amreports are indeed mount points listed
there.

All the mounts of type "proc", "sysfs", "tmpfs", etc. (or a device name
that doesn't start with "/dev/") are ones managed by the Ubuntu boot
process for various system purposes.  They are created afresh each time
the system is started up, and so (as Joi mentioned) it doesn't do any
good to include them in your Amanda dumps.

In any case, keep in mind that (except for a few strange-case bugfixes)
the only one-filesystem-related thing that changed between earlier
versions and tar 1.27 is that tar now outputs a warning message
regarding the sudirectories that it runs across but doesn't back up due
to the filesystem check.  In other words, these directories weren't
included in the dumps with tar 1.22 either -- it's just that they were
excluded silently.

(So if indeed something was missing after you restored from a backup,
that issue has some other explanation....)

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239