On Tuesday 29 July 2014 01:15:06 Olivier Nicole did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene,
>
> > So in a roundabout way, tar's mouthyness coaxed me into buying a
> > better printer. And if the excludes work tonight, I'm happy, camping
> > or...
>
> If I may... I think the solution suggested by Nathan does not lean
> toward the excludes.
>
> Solving your problem by using a crafted exclude list that makes tar
> avoids all mount point directories and synlinks pointing to other
> filesystems has several drawnbacks.
>
> - most of the time, when you will upgrade your system, you may have to
>   upgrade your update list, wondering once more why tar is spitting an
>   error at you.
>
> - in the future, a system upgrade may result in merging two file
> systems into one, your exclude will still apply, that part will
> silently be ignbored in your backup
>
> My uinderstanding is that you should not play with the exclude list,
> let tar complain, let complains be logged (usefull for later debuging)
> but ignore these complains in the finale report (now I have no clue on
> how to do that). This looks like a more sustainable solution to me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier

There is quite a bit of merit to your argument, and I am hesitant to use
an exclude pattern that may do exactly that.  This points toward the use
of more than one excludes file, location defined in the dumptype.  That
would work, but demands a dumptype stanza per DLE in the worst case.  I'm
not convinced I need to go there, yet.

As for new installs/upgrades, I've been badly burned on the upgrade path,
so any "updates" are always a fresh install on a different drive.  I have
one of those quick change cages that puts 3 drives in 2 5.25" spaces, so
drive swaps are as simple as shutdown, open the door in front of the 2
drives to be swapped, swap them, close door, power up.  It also runs the 3
drives in that cage 10F cooler than the 4th drive not in that cage.  Good
fan & decently quiet.  One of the better $75 bills I've spent on this
computer stuff.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)