On Thursday 11 September 2014 13:19:14 Debra S Baddorf did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I agree.  I always build amanda myself.   [ My package seems okay when
> I have ROOT build it and install it ….  I don’t think  I’ve changed
> anything to allow that to work. Hmm.  I do remember reading that my
> amanda user (operator for me)  was supposed to build it.  ]
>
> A comment about the configure settings:
> > ./configure --with-user=amanda \
> >
> >     --with-group=disk \
> >     --with-owner=amanda \
> >     --with-gnu-ld \
> >     --prefix=/usr/local/ \
> >     --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
> >     --with-tape-server=coyote \
> >     --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
> >     --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
> >     --with-gnutar=/usr/bin/tar
>
> Since I have clients of several ages and varying amanda versions …
> I’ve discovered that you can have all three of the security types
> enabled and used by differing clients:
>  --with-bsd-security \
>  --with-krb5-security  \
>  --with-bsdtcp-security \    is default so I guess I don’t explicitly
> add that line, but it’s a good idea to do so

I was not aware of that, but then my system is a pretty small model
compared to many on this list.  I would not be surprised to find that
Brian C. has in excess of 50 spindles scattered over nearly that many
clients, as do you at Fermi.  Fortunately, amanda scales exceedingly well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)