On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 05:29:08PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 11 September 2014 13:19:14 Debra S Baddorf did opine
> And Gene did reply:
> > I agree.  I always build amanda myself.   [ My package seems okay when
> > I have ROOT build it and install it ….  I don’t think  I’ve changed
> > anything to allow that to work. Hmm.  I do remember reading that my
> > amanda user (operator for me)  was supposed to build it.  ]
> >
> > A comment about the configure settings:
> > > ./configure --with-user=amanda \
> > >
> > >   --with-group=disk \
> > >   --with-owner=amanda \
> > >   --with-gnu-ld \
> > >   --prefix=/usr/local/ \
> > >   --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
> > >   --with-tape-server=coyote \
> > >   --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
> > >   --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
> > >   --with-gnutar=/usr/bin/tar
> >
> > Since I have clients of several ages and varying amanda versions …
> > I’ve discovered that you can have all three of the security types
> > enabled and used by differing clients:
> >  --with-bsd-security \
> >  --with-krb5-security  \
> >  --with-bsdtcp-security \    is default so I guess I don’t explicitly
> > add that line, but it’s a good idea to do so

> I was not aware of that, but then my system is a pretty small model
> compared to many on this list.  I would not be surprised to find that
> Brian C. has in excess of 50 spindles scattered over nearly that many
> clients, as do you at Fermi.  Fortunately, amanda scales exceedingly well.

Really very well. I have a system that has only itself as a client
and has 288 DLEs and backups over 1Tbyte plus per night. Another system
has only 113 DLE but spread across 34 clients. I have 4-5 TBytes backed
up on VTapes and I have other systems that backup relatively little data
across only about a half dozen machines.

Amanda scales very well. And the client/server we have are a combinations
are a result of historical, practical and political, rather than an issue
of amanda's scalability.

The only issue I have with amanda scaling is the machine with 288 DLE
has a file handle limitation, which I think is an OS issue that I should
be able to (but have not) work around. And despite the error, amanda runs
and backups up all of the DLEs properly, so it works around the OS issue
for me.

                                                        Brian

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> US V Castleman, SCOTUS, Mar 2014 is grounds for Impeaching SCOTUS
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org