Folks,

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS system running Amanda 3.3.6 server backing up a Solaris 10 system with Amanda 3.3.2.

I had it working and I was getting backups of that particular Solaris system. Then I suddenly started getting the "timeout on reply pipe" on every single dle on that system, but not on any other systems. There is also another virtually identical Solaris system (except with Amanda 2.5.1p3) that has continued getting backed up as well as a number of Ubuntu systems with various versions of Ubuntu (10.04LTS, 12.04LTS, or 14.04LTS) and Amanda (either 2.5.1p3, 3.3.2, or 3.3.6).

If I run `amcheck -c daily`, I get 0 problems.

How do I troubleshoot this? Why would it have suddenly come up (last Friday) and then been consistently non functional? (Whereas before it was consistently functional). I've poked through the /tmp/amanda debug logs, but haven't been able to identify any errors that would tell me what was wrong.

I should note that most of these servers are in the same two adjacent racks and have GigE connections to the same switch.

The server that is not getting backed up at present is our main departmental server that is running mail services, web, file shares, printing, anonymous ftp, mysql, etc. for a fairly active department.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator