Thanks.

It happens that the 16th was the last day before students and faculty started arriving back. However, I would have thought that the three day weekend would have been quieter. That server does have some large storage areas that had caused problems in the past. It was the Amanda server. Now I have a new Ubuntu server that is starting to take over, and the first thing I did was to build Amanda server on the new server to start using the new LTO6 NEO200. So, now that server is not backing itself up, but being backed up by the new server.

Unfortunately, the stuff in /tmp/amanda/client/daily gets trimmed. I have only back to the 18th, and since I don't backup /tmp, there is no way to get them.

I think I will take Jean-Louis' suggestion of using a "faster estimate method: calcsize or server." While Deb's suggestion of bumping etimeout would probably work as well, it seems it would be more fragile. My etimeout was 900, and just now I figured "what the heck" and changed it to 2000. I care less about delays than about getting the backups. I will still go ahead with the faster estimate method on the larger DLEs, since that will both avoid the delays and get the backups done.

I'm inclined to suggest that Amanda backup what it can and report individual DLEs that have issues. I don't know if that would be an easy or sensible change in its planner strategy, but it makes sense to me on first blush.