On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:43:51PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> On 16.02.2015 10:02, Gour wrote:
> > Hello, tried with forums, but got no reply, so I'm trying here now...
> >
> > I'm considering to upgrade my current backup system consisting of Amanda
> > and LTO-2 drive/tapes.
> >
> > My needs are to regularly backlup my desktop machine (2X1TB disks in
> > raid-1) and occasionally perform backup of my netbook (320GB disk
> > drive).
> >
> > Besides that I have collection of 13 LTO-2 tapes mostly uncompressed
> > material (old hi8 movies and scanned negatives).
> >
> > Considering that LTO tapes are quite expensive and I'd have to buy at
> > least LTO-4 if not wanting to skip over two-generations lap, I'm
> > considering to switch to RDX disks/cartridges and wonder if anyone can
> > share their experience of using Amanda with RDX disk-based backup?
> >
> > By looking at docs, I've found the following: "How To:Using removable
> > hard disk changers as Virtual tapes" from the wiki (forum software does
> > not allow me using URLs ), but would like to hear if/how Amanda is
> > suitable for the task?
>
> Interested as well!
> pls share, people ...

No experience, hadn't heard of RDX.  When I looked them up I was
struck by the cartridge price compared to external USB or eSATA drives.
For similar capacity the cartridges seem 5x the price.  What is the
advantage of the RDX setup over just swapping in and out external
drives?

--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)