On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 01:01:59 PM Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:43:51PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> > On 16.02.2015 10:02, Gour wrote:
> > > Hello, tried with forums, but got no reply, so I'm trying here
> > > now...
> > >
> > > I'm considering to upgrade my current backup system consisting of
> > > Amanda and LTO-2 drive/tapes.
> > >
> > > My needs are to regularly backlup my desktop machine (2X1TB disks
> > > in raid-1) and occasionally perform backup of my netbook (320GB
> > > disk drive).
> > >
> > > Besides that I have collection of 13 LTO-2 tapes mostly
> > > uncompressed material (old hi8 movies and scanned negatives).
> > >
> > > Considering that LTO tapes are quite expensive and I'd have to buy
> > > at least LTO-4 if not wanting to skip over two-generations lap,
> > > I'm considering to switch to RDX disks/cartridges and wonder if
> > > anyone can share their experience of using Amanda with RDX
> > > disk-based backup?
> > >
> > > By looking at docs, I've found the following: "How To:Using
> > > removable hard disk changers as Virtual tapes" from the wiki
> > > (forum software does not allow me using URLs ), but would like to
> > > hear if/how Amanda is suitable for the task?
> >
> > Interested as well!
> > pls share, people ...
>
> No experience, hadn't heard of RDX.  When I looked them up I was
> struck by the cartridge price compared to external USB or eSATA drives.
> For similar capacity the cartridges seem 5x the price.  What is the
> advantage of the RDX setup over just swapping in and out external
> drives?

Sales hype? I dunno.

But let me point out that for less than a 100 dollar bill, tigerdirect has
sata drive cages that can hold 3 sata drives. 5, standing in a row across
the width of a 5.25" slot will cost a bit more.  Claiming to be hot swap,
I crashed the system by ejecting a drive that was not mounted, so I have
been doing full powerdowns since. It has a good sized fan on the rear and
keeps my drives at not over 40C, so heat, even in the long term doesn't
seem to be a problem.  I wish now that I had bought the 5 drive version,
but thats hindsight.  Jim is using several of them at the tv station for
backup raids and quicker than stink video servers.  We originally bought a
pile of Apples huge pizza box servers for that, found they were too slow,
and to add insult to $5500 each injury, they all burned up (literally) in
under a year. So now he builds our own using intel stuff, centos and these
cages.  They can read 4 tv channels at a time while recording 2 from a
satellite feed.  The first one he built is still working fine although its
lost a drive or 3 in the last 6 years.

The apples couldn't touch that with 4 of them.  And Apples warranty is
100% at their convenience, the fact that you are off the air doesn't mean
squat to Apple.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)