On Jun 16, 2015, at 2:11 PM, Debra S Baddorf <badd...@fnal.gov> wrote:

I suspect some manual intervention will be required  (unless others think of a
really clever way).

How about creating a new configuration,  such as DAILY2  for the new tape
library.  It would gradually build up its history as it fills tapes,
but YOU the intelligent human will have to know to do your restores from  DAILY
 (or whatever the old config was called) until such time
as the new config has the date that your restore needs to come from.    I.E.
keep a record of the date when the new library goes into
effect,  and watch the dates of what you are restoring.   If earlier than the
new library,  than restore from OLD-CONFIG-NAME.
If the date is new enough that the new library has done a backup and has the
restore that you want,  then restore from NEW-CONFIG-NAME.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab

PS  My library upgrades have always included a new computer host too,  so I
kept the CONFIG name the same,  but had to remember
which host to address the request to.      In your case,  I would probably keep
the config name the same,  but create a new name for the
OLD-CONFIG   (such as  OLD-CONFIG ;)  or  OLD-DAILY)  so that I could keep them
straight.     Or  DAILY-LTO2   and  keep the new
one as just  DAILY.   You get the gist.   Whatever feels best for you.

Deb