On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 01:49:46PM -0500, Seann wrote:

> The only errors for the manual run are 'Strange' errors, related to files
> that either have been removed during backup, or files (log files mainly)
> that have changed during the tar process.
>
> I updated my cron tasks last night, to run out of the root cron, under the
> amandabackup username, as a test to see if that changes anything.
>
> I was running top on all of my clients during the manual backup yesterday,
> and I saw the sendbackup task, and tar tasks running on the client, and gzip
> and taper running on the server, as I would expect.
>
> Watching the same clients during the nightly cron, didn't show any
> sendbackup tasks, nor any tar tasks running on the clients, and no taper
> process or gzip task running on the server.
>
> A quick process check showed the dumpers processes running, and a lot of
> idle taper processes, but nothing was running. This was an hour and a half
> after the backup started, and the manual run completed after about two and a
> half hours.
>
> It is starting to look a lot like how the cron runs, versus how Amanda is
> configured for the backup session.

Whenever there is a difference in a command run from a login session and
the same command run by cron, the first thought must be the environment.
When cron runs it may not use the same shell you use on login and it
certainly will NOT have processed your ~/.profile and other environment
startup files.  Cron runs with a bare-bones environment.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)