On Wednesday 14 December 2016 20:15:30 Debra S Baddorf wrote:

> > On Dec 14, 2016, at 6:04 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > wrote:

> >> For an easy starter question:  does your server  (coyote, I take
> >> it?) include the PI node’s name in the  .amandahosts   file?
> >> (And .k5amandahosts,  but I doubt if you use kerberos).
> >>
> >> Sample client line:
> >> .amandahosts:PI.my.domain    root amindexd amidxtaped
> >
> > Now I am between 2 other rocks
> > pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo amrecover -s coyote.coyote.den -t
> > coyote.coyote.den -C Daily
> > AMRECOVER Version 3.3.6. Contacting server on coyote.coyote.den ...
> > NAK: user root from raspberrypi.coyote.den is not allowed to execute
> > the service amindexd: Please add the line "raspberrypi.coyote.den
> > root amindexd amidxtaped" to /home/amanda/.amandahosts on the server
> > pi@raspberrypi:~
>
> Well,  this one is what we just did.   However,  the file is rather
> picky about its permissions: (operator  is my backup account).  Oh,
> and make sure the line reads exactly as requested, above. -rw-------
> 1 operator root  2875 Aug 29 14:09 .amandahosts
>
> > $ amrecover -s coyote.coyote.den -t coyote.coyote.den -C
> > Daily
> > amrecover: critical (fatal): create debug
> > directory "/var/log/amanda/client/": Permission denied
> > amrecover: create debug directory "/var/log/amanda/client/":
> > Permission denied
> >
> > but the directory exists, with these permissions:
> > pi@raspberrypi:/var/log $ sudo ls -l amanda
> > total 8
> > drwx------ 2 backup backup 4096 Dec 14 03:03 amandad
> > drwx------ 3 backup backup 4096 Dec 14 18:50 client
> > Those perms don't look kosher, but thats what installing
> > amanda-common and amanda-client left me with.
>
> I gather these are where your logs are supposed to go?   (the default
> value is  /tmp/amanda,  I think) My permissions are,  where OPERATOR
> is my backup  account.
>
> drwxr-xr-x.  7 operator root     4096 Dec 14 07:00 amanda
>
> What’s the permission on your  “/var/log”   itself  ?   If you don’t
> want *IT*  to be owned by  “backup” you may need to specify a
> directory under it.    /var/log/amanda  perhaps. Though,  if your
> backups are currently working,
> it’s probably okay.   It’s just the recover   that isn’t going,  right
> now.
>
> directories under that are created at need,  i think,  and come up
> with drwx------  2 operator root 4096 Dec 14 17:30 amandad
> drwx------  5 operator root 4096 Dec 14 17:30 client
> drwx------  2 operator root 4096 Dec 14 04:47 log.error
> drwx------  5 operator root 4096 Dec 14 17:30 server
>     (you won’t get all until needed)
>   Those match yours.
>
> So, maybe I haven’t added anything new?    Or did this prompt a
> change, above? Deb
>
> > Next?
> >
> > Thanks Deb.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> [...]

That one I did get sorted, I needed to put a "root" line in .amandahosts.

So I set it up to do a bare metal recovery of /.  But it crashed before
even getting a good start. So now I have a trashed boot card, which is
actually a 32Gb u-sd card about the size of a fingernail. I have the
stuff here to rebuild it, or more cards.  But I am convinced I've blown
a gpio pin on this pi, so I just ordered two more from MCM. $35 a copy.
I've been beating my head on the floor over some crappy hookup jumpers
that probably caused the blown pin, so if Digi-Key or the mailman, ever
gets off the pot, I'll make me up a special jumper assembly that should
stop the interconnect problem that started all this, once and for all.
But not going to worry about it for a day or so as its forecast to get
very cold with a high wind chill thrown in between now and the weekend.

I did have it working well at the end of November, till apt installed an
updated kernel about 12 days back that wasn't any resemblance to a real
time build and it all went to hell in a well oiled little red wagon.

I think I have that sorted so that won't happen again.

Thanks Deb, take care & have a happy holiday, orders from Grandpa
Gene. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)