On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 09:05:32AM -0400, hy...@lactose.homelinux.net wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I seem to be getting an awful lot of full (level-0) backups:
>
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,089,376 Apr  1 23:04
> slot140/00020.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,100,793 Apr  2 23:04
> slot141/00021.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,116,298 Apr  3 23:04
> slot142/00021.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,124,968 Apr  4 23:05
> slot143/00019.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,175,244 Apr  5 23:04
> slot144/00020.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,240,006 Apr  6 23:04
> slot145/00020.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,246,124 Apr  7 23:04
> slot146/00019.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,285,370 Apr  8 23:04
> slot147/00015.alfred._var.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda backup 805,297,042 Apr  9 23:04
> slot148/00021.alfred._var.0
>
> It's not on all disks, but it's on a lot of them.
>
> My "estimate" seems to be working correctly:
>
> $ /usr/local/sbin/amadmin MyConfig estimate alfred /var
> alfred /var 0 876790
> alfred /var 1 1420
>
> ...and I haven't changed any of the default "bump" options. (I can post
> my amanda.conf if you want me to.)
>
> So I guess I'm missing something as to why my backups aren't bumping to
> level 1.  My best guess is that "the level-0 backup is below some
> threshhold that amanda decides that repeated 800-MB level-0 backups are
> more efficient than requiring multiple tapes for a restore."  But I can't
> find any obvious indication of such a threshhold.
>
> It's not a big deal, but it's got me curious.  Can somebody toss a clue
> my way?

Not unusual.  It a product of having a couple of large DLEs and several,
relatively small DLEs.  Amanda tries to schedule so that each runs
backup is about the same size.  The large ones skew the average needed
each run and the only way to get nearer the average is to promote the
small DLEs to level 0.

The scheme works great for medium to large amanda sites with a lot
of DLEs to balance.  Maybe a feature request could be an alternate
scheduling scheme or a DLE setting to minimize promotions.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)