Jean-Louis Martineau writes:

>>    ? /usr/bin/tar: ./hymie/[m-z]*: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file
>>    or directory
>
>$ man amgtar

I'm not using amgtar, I'm using gnutar.  Not sure if that matters.

>INCLUDE AND EXCLUDE LISTS
>   Similarly, include expressions are supplied to GNU-tar's --files-from
>   option. This option ordinarily does not accept any sort of wildcards,
>   but amgtar "manually" applies glob pattern matching to include
>   expressions with only one slash. The expressions must still begin with
>   "./", so this effectively only allows expressions like "./[abc]*" or
>   "./*.txt".
>

>./hymie/[m-z]* have more than one slash so it is used as a path, no glob
>matching.

Interesting.

So this seems to have worked for the backup (only one slash)

newlaptop.local.net /home/hymie/2 /home/hymie {
   simple-gnutar-remote
   include "./z*"
}

despite the documentation saying that the "diskdevice" must be a mount
point (it isn't anymore).

Recovery appears to work too, although I have to make sure that I use the
correct "setdisk" command.

Thank you -- you may have solved my problem.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hy...@lactose.homelinux.net