> On Jul 16, 2017, at 7:20 AM, Luc Lalonde <luc.lalo...@polymtl.ca> wrote:
>
> Hello Folks,
>
> I think that this is an old bug that has come back in version 3.4.5.
>
> If one of the clients is not reachable for an ‘amcheck’, then I get multiple
> errors:
>
> #############
> [root@beagle amandad]# su amandabackup -c '/usr/sbin/amcheck Journalier-VTAPE'
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> NOTE: Holding disk '/amanda/stage/Journalier-VTAPE': 6194409472 KB disk space
> available, using 1048576000 KB as requested
> Searching for label 'vtape-4':found in slot 4: volume 'vtape-4'
> Will write to volume 'vtape-4' in slot 4.
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Server check took 0.260 seconds
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> ERROR: trinidad: selfcheck request failed: error sending REQ: write error to:
> Broken pipe
> ERROR: ada: selfcheck request failed: error sending REQ: write error to:
> Broken pipe
> ERROR: moe-alt: selfcheck request failed: error sending REQ: write error to:
> Broken pipe
> ERROR: moe-180: selfcheck request failed: error sending REQ: write error to:
> Broken pipe
> ERROR: ldap1: selfcheck request failed: error sending REQ: write error to:
> Broken pipe
> ERROR: nanofs: selfcheck request failed: error sending REQ: write error to:
> Broken pipe
> ERROR: bonne: selfcheck request failed: Connection timed out
> Client check: 14 hosts checked in 392.043 seconds.  7 problems found.
> (brought to you by Amanda 3.4.5)
> #############
>
> The last client ‘bonne’ is down and not reachable on the network.  I remove
> the entry for that client in the ‘disklist’ and everything works fine:
>
> #############
> [root@beagle amandad]# su amandabackup -c '/usr/sbin/amcheck Journalier-VTAPE'
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> NOTE: Holding disk '/amanda/stage/Journalier-VTAPE': 6194409472 KB disk space
> available, using 1048576000 KB as requested
> Searching for label 'vtape-4':found in slot 4: volume 'vtape-4'
> Will write to volume 'vtape-4' in slot 4.
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Server check took 0.271 seconds
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> Client check: 13 hosts checked in 2.175 seconds.  0 problems found.
> (brought to you by Amanda 3.4.5)
> #############
>
> We were using 3.3.7 not so long ago and I don’t seem to remember having this
> kind of problem when an amanda client was down.
>
> Is this a known bug?
>
> Thank You!

I’m at version 3.3.8 still, but this problem has never gone away for us.  With
any TCP based connection method
( BSDTCP  or KRB connections)  we still have lots of failures if even one node
is down.  The TCP built-in timeouts
are what kills us,  and that’s system wide and not internal to amanda.    I’ve
tried playing with the system timeout numbers,
but had no real luck and so put them back to their default.
   I run an AMCHECK  every day (twice, actually) to try to catch nodes which
are down,  before they affect other backups.

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab