On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 19:54:59 -0400, Greg Dickie wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
>    Amanda 3.4.5 on centos 7.

Okay, good.

> Using this:define interactivity inter_tty_email {
>     plugin "tty_email"
>     property "mailto" "i...@xxx.com"
>     property "resend-delay" "10"
>     property "check-file" "/tmp/email_input"
>     property "check-file-delay" "10"
> }
>

> So I guess it will resend every 10 seconds. oops.
> so that answers the first question, thanks.

Yep :)

> Now what does that email mean? The entire email is below:
>

> Error reading Amanda header: Error reading 2097152 bytes from /dev/nst0:
> Input/output error
>
> Insert a new volume in flexstorii
> or write the name of a new changer in '/tmp/email_input'
> or write 'abort' in the file to abort the scan.
>
> (Waiting for the file to be created.)

The error message in the first paragraph of the email is the hint
answering your "b) what the cause is and how to avoid it?" question.

I don't use actual tape drives with Amanda 3.4.x (so I don't have
first-hand experience with this situation), but I believe the error
message simply means that Amanda can't read a label label from the tape
in the drive in question, either because their is no tape inserted or
because the tape that's there is bad.

If at this point you put a valid tape in the drive (or cause the changer
to advance to a valid tape), Amanda should detect that after a few
seconds and proceed with the backup run.

(If you are sure there is actually a valid tape in the drive [i.e.
amcheck is happy with that same tape before the run starts], then you
need to figure out why Amanda can't see it -- but you will need to look
somewhere other than this email message for clues to help track down
that sort of problem.  For example, it may be some sort of changer
configuration problem....)

If you can't find a valid volume and want to abort the run, you can do
something like
  echo "abort" > /tmp/email_input
then make sure /tmp/email_input is readable by the Amanda process.

Alternatively, if you just want Amanda to give up the run if it hits
this sort of problem (and skip the emails entirely), then you can
disable the "interactity inter_tty_email" line in amanda.conf....

                                                Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239