On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 09:20:16 -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
> Amanda 3.5 can do everything you want only by running the amdump command.
>
> Using an holding disk:
>
>   * You configure two storages
>   * All dumps go to the holding disk
>   * All dumps are copied to each storages, not necessarily at the same
>     time or in the same run.
>   * The dumps stay in holding until they are copied to both storages
>   * You can tell amanda that everything must go to both storage or only
>     some dle full/incr
>
> Without holding disk
>
>   * You configure one storage telling it to automatically vault its
>     dumps to the vault-storage
>   * You configure one vault-storage
>   * All dumps are dumped to the storage then vaulted to the vault-storage
>   * The vault operation can be done later in the same run or in a
>     different run.
>   * All dumps must go to the storage, but you can vault only some dles
>     full/incr

Jean-Louis, are the following correct summararies of how one would
actually implement the two scenarios you describe above?

1) the "using a holding disk" scenario would involve:
   * listing both storages in the "storage" global parameter
   * no "vault-storage" line
   * no "vault" parameter in either storage definition
   * the "you can tell amanda that everything...." part would be
     accomplished using the "dump-selection" parameter in each storage
     definition

2) the "without holding disk" scenario would involve:
   * no global "storage" parameter (or one listing a single storage)
   * the "vault" parameter would be found in the storage definition for
     that main storage
   * if you want to do the vaulting as part of the amdump run, the
     global "vault-storage" parameter would list the (single) vault storage
   * if you want to do the vaulting later, you would not have
     "vault-storage" defined (and would kick off the vaulting operation with
         amdump CONF BADHOST -ovault-storage="VAULT"
     )
   * the "you can vault only some dles full/incr" part would be
     accomplished using the "dump-selection" parameter in the vault
     storage definition
   * if a holding disk is defined, dumps stay there only until they are
     written to the main storage, after which they are deleted from the
     holding disk (and thus the vaulting step pulls dumps back off the
     storage to which they were previously written)

If I'm using vtapes (on internal drives) for my main storage, is there
any downside to using the second scenario instead of the first?

(I am already using a holding disk for the main dump, but it seems like
using the second scenario would mean that if the vault storage isn't
available during the run, I won't end up filling the holding disk with
dumps that have already been written successfully to the main
storage....)

Finally, a couple question about your statement "All dumps are copied to
each storages, not necessarily at the same time or in the same run." (in
the use-holding-disk scenario):

  * am I correct that amdump would always try to use both storages, and
    thus situation in which they would be written at different times is
    when an acceptable volume is not found when amdump starts?

    (Does having one of the two storages with no volume found drop the
    entire run into degraded mode?)

  * Once that has happened, one would make the missing volume available
    and then use the "amflush" command to kick off the pending writes,
    right?  (rather than "amdump CONF BADHOST" as used in the
    no-holding-disk scenario)

Thanks.

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239