> On Mar 9, 2018, at 1:43 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <ti...@math.uh.edu> wrote:
>
> With tape sizes what they are now I'm finally at the point where I have
> way more tape than stuff to back up.  To satisfy my inherent laziness,
> I'd like to actually fill every tape (or at least come close to filling
> them).  And then just leave my library full of tapes without ever
> needing to change them out.
>
> My understanding is that Amanda has no way to append to tapes; once it
> has started writing to a tape, that tape won't be used again until the
> next pass through the tapecycle.  That implies that you must keep
> backups on the holding disk and write them only when you'll have a
> nearly-full tape.  I have plenty of holding disk (at least until I move
> to LTO8) so that isn't an issue.
>
> Currently I have these in amanda.conf:
>
> tapecycle 47 tapes
> autoflush yes
> taperflush 70
> flush-threshold-dumped 70
> flush-threshold-scheduled 90
>
> Is that basically all I'm supposed to do?  Because according to the
> reports, each tape is only getting about 50% full.  So I think I must be
> missing something about how those four flush-related parameters
> interact.
>
> - J<

Well, if it’s already not doing what you want,  you might read these.  They’re
from an
example  amanda.conf,   but I don’t know how current my copy is.

# You don't want to use a new tape for every run, but want to start writing
# to tape as soon as possible:
# flush-threshold-dumped        0   # (or more)
# flush-threshold-scheduled     100 # (or more)
# taperflush    100
# autoflush     yes
# maxdumpsize   100k # amount of data to dump each run; see above.
#
# You want to keep the most recent dumps on holding disk, for faster recovery.
# Older dumps will be rotated to tape during each run.
# flush-threshold-dumped        300 # (or more)
# flush-threshold-scheduled     300 # (or more)
# taperflush    300
# autoflush     yes

Deb Baddorf