/rant I swear, Amanda has given me nothing but grief since 3.3.6 -> 3.4.x.

My last two monthly amvault --latest-fulls have given me this error
message, which from my barely-literate read of the source code, is an
error from get_device().  Previous amvaults worked.

My amanda.conf and tapelist can be found at
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_vw5EcgO15lXzJwQVk3UXpkTUE
but... before asking anyone to do a deep-dive in there, can anyone give
me hints as to what I might try to narrow the scope of the problem?  I
am not looking forward to trying an strace.

I did, to ensure sanity of the destination robot (the source is a VTL),
do an

amtape -otpchanger="HP_G2" vtl update" (my config is "vtl")

No problems.  The amvault command line is

amvault -q --latest-fulls --dest-storage "tape_storage" vtl