On Thursday 27 September 2018 02:16:02 Ashwin Krishna wrote:

Your position in BETSOL is?

> My apologies for not being able to respond to your mails sooner.
> BETSOL is very proud of Zmanda's open source heritage and community.
> We are 100% committed to the open source community and will be
> contributing to the code base to the best of our abilities.

This first email from someone at BETSOL is several months overdue. That
gives the impression that the word "fork" was not something you
expected.

> I understand that we were not able to contribute as per the
> expectations in the last couple of months. I want to assure you that
> we are actively investing in growing Amanda and we have young
> enthusiastic engineers in the team. You can expect the next Amanda
> releases to include support for newer versions of operating systems,
> defect fixes, security enhancements etc.
>
> We have retained the team members that we could of previous Zmanda
> team. I can tell you that it's not easy without support from the
> community members.

Did you try asking?  Not that I've seen here. :( As a common, long term
user, my oar to propel amanda is only toothpick sized. But I can be an
outspoken old fool when something I've invested quite a bit of time
writing a wrapper for it, is in danger of going away. I am also a
subscriber to the universal rule TANSTAAFL.

All I ask is to keep up with the tar folks, who were less than helpfull
with all the turmoil 2 or 3 years ago in that camp. Now its settled for
a while, and all I'd like is a little less aggression in promoting level
0's. Its possible I could fix that, but the docs don't teach that. They
need help, but this is true of a lot of gpl'd stuff.

For a while 3 or so years ago, I ran the latest 4.0 previews, playing the
canary in the coal mine, but it got hard to build with wheezy's toolbox,
so I dropped back to 3.3.7p1. For other reasons much of this local
network is running debian wheezy. Progress is being made toward a
working stretch install image, which will probably work if stretch ever
gets its network problems sorted.  At that time there will be 6 machines
here that will be switched. That will upgrade the toolbox.

So, you tell us whats in the pipeline. And when we can test drive the
new, improved model. If it will build, we'll test it.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)