On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 12:07:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> root@coyote:/amandatapes/Dailys# ls -l data/
> total 18143556
> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda      32768 Oct 31 03:03 00000.Dailys-27
> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda      70603 Oct 31 03:03 00001.shop._root.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda      32934 Oct 31 03:03 00002.shop._var_amanda.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda     272120 Oct 31 03:03 00003.GO704._root.0
[...]
> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda   13353012 Oct 31 03:44 00064.GO704._usr_local.0
> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda    2163585 Oct 31 03:44
> 00065.GO704._usr_lib_amanda.0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 amanda amanda     112640 Oct 31 03:45 configuration.tar
> -rw-r--r-- 1 amanda amanda  469934080 Oct 31 03:45 indices.tar
>
> So all 66 dle's are there, subbing out the first line & the last 2.

[...]
> Now, possibly interesting, does amadmin skip some that aren't due, it
> only sees 65 lines of output.
> oot@coyote:/amandatapes/Dailys# su amanda -c "/usr/local/sbin/amadmin Daily
> dles"|wc -l
> 65

Note that in the vtape directory, the 00000 file is the tape label, so
actually there are only 65 DLEs backed up there (thus matching your
"amadmin ... dles" output).

(Amanda generally does _some_ dump for every DLE, to make sure to catch
changes since the previous dump... though of course if nothing has
changed on that DLE you may end up with an empty incremental dump for
that DLE.)

> So where does amanda keep the file with the last backup, is that amandates?

(In 3.5 I seems to remember it's possible to choose from different
storage back-ends, but generally) the "amadmin ... info" data is stored
in a pile of
  /var/lib/amanda/<CONFIG>/curinfo/<HOST>/<DISK>/info
text files (one file for each DLE).

> On shop, they don't resemble dates:
> gene@shop:/etc$ ls -l amandates
> -rw-r----- 1 amandabackup disk 380 Oct 31 03:28 amandates
> gene@shop:/etc$ cat amandates
> /etc 0 1540969428
> /etc 1 1540796552

I don't believe amandates has anything to do with the "amadmin ...
info/due/balance" commands, but anyway those are
seconds-since-Unix-epoch numbers.  For a reasonably up-to-date version
of the GNU date command, you can translate that to a human-readable
date-time string with date --date="@n", e.g.

  $ date --date="@1540969428"
  Wed Oct 31 03:03:48 EDT 2018
  $ date --date="@1540796552"
  Mon Oct 29 03:02:32 EDT 2018

                                                Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239