On 11/21/18 2:55 PM, Chris Miller wrote:
> AMANDA can't backup a file; only directories. Is there any way around
> that? Suppose I need to backup a large file in a directory with many
> other large files, so backing up the complete directory or moving /
> copying my target would be inconvenient, not to mention
> administratively cumbersome when it comes to restoring.

Jean-Louis mentioned the amraw application as one that can be used on
a single file:  http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/3.5.1/amraw.8.html

In the pending pull request #11, there are some others as well:

amooraw: this is just the same as amraw but implemented in the OO style
made possible in PR#11, to show how the development is simplified. Like
amraw, it only supports full backups.

amgrowingfile: this is specific to the case where the single file is
something that grows very large and only by appending (think audit or
log files, etc). It can do efficient incremental backups of the single
file (an increment is just what has been appended since the last one).
A level 0 has to be forced any time the file is rewritten any other
way than appending.

amgrowingzip: like amgrowingfile but for the special case where the
single file is a large zip archive that is only grown by appending
new members at the end. It also supports increments. A level 0 must
be forced any time the file is modified any other way than adding new
zip members at the end.

In the preliminary man pages with the pull request, amooraw is on
page 12, amgrowingfile on page 9, and amgrowingzip on page 10.

https://github.com/zmanda/amanda/files/1265069/AppScriptWithAbstractClasses.pdf

-Chap