Having create a set of zmanda debian packages on one debian 9.9 machine,
I have copied those to another freshly built machine, and installed
them.

I seem to hit a problem with permissions and ownership
of /etc/amanda-security.conf.

amcheck wants /etc/amanda-security.conf, but the file is in /etc/amanda,
not /etc. That one cannot solve with a symlink. Copy the file instead.

amcheck also wants it to be owned by root, and not writable by the
group.

Having done that I get another error message complaining:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
HOST localhost ERROR: can not access '/etc/amanda-security.conf': Permission
denied (ruid:63998 euid:63998)
HOST localhost ERROR: can not access '/etc/amanda-security.conf': Permission
denied (ruid:63998 euid:63998)
Client check: 1 host checked in 2.169 seconds.  2 problems found.

Make up your mind: who do you want to own /etc/amanda-security.conf?

xinetd runs the client as

        user            = amandabackup
        group           = disk

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but