On Sunday 26 May 2019 07:26:47 pm Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> [...]
> to make the setting propagate to the install phase, but looks like the
> issue is in .../common-src/Makefile, where there is the following
> sequence of lines:
>
>   CONFIG_DIR = /etc/amanda
>   [...]
>   etcamandadir = ${CONFIG_DIR}
>   etcamanda_FILE = amanda-security.conf
>   etcamanda_DATA = ${etcamanda_FILE}
>   [...]
>
>   install-etcamandaDATA: $(etcamanda_DATA)
>         @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
>         @list='$(etcamanda_DATA)'; test -n "$(etcamandadir)" || list=;
> \ if test -n "$$list"; then \
>           echo " $(MKDIR_P) '$(DESTDIR)$(etcamandadir)'"; \
>           $(MKDIR_P) "$(DESTDIR)$(etcamandadir)" || exit 1; \
>         fi; \
>         for p in $$list; do \
>           if test -f "$$p"; then d=; else d="$(srcdir)/"; fi; \
>           echo "$$d$$p"; \
>         done | $(am__base_list) | \
>         while read files; do \
>           echo " $(INSTALL_DATA) $$files '$(DESTDIR)$(etcamandadir)'";
> \ $(INSTALL_DATA) $$files "$(DESTDIR)$(etcamandadir)" || exit $$?; \
>         done
>
> So, if I follow everything correctly, the problem is that the whole
> "install-etcamandaDATA" section of the script is devoted to installing
> each file in "${etcamanda_DATA}" files into "${etcamandadir}"... but
> actually the only file in that list is amanda-security.conf, the path
> to which you are supposed to be able to specify with the
> --with-security-file= option....
>
> (Actually, given that .../config/amanda/defaults.m4 puts the file in
> SYSCONFDIR by default, it seems like it will be extremely rare that
> installing it in $CONFIG_DIR is the correct thing to do...)
>
> Perhaps the whole section can just be switched to install the
> "amanda-security.conf" directly to the "./configure"-calculated
> "security-file" path?
>

> Anyway, if that isn't going to be easy to fix at the Makefile level,
> you may want to implement a short-term fix the Zmanda .deb files to
> work around this problem....
>
> The official Debian package works around it by using the line
>
>   etc/amanda/amanda-security.conf etc
>
> in amanda-client.install, rather than the
>
>   etc/amanda/*
>
> line currently found in both packaging/deb/amanda-backup-*.install
> files.
>
> I think making this change in your two files would work okay, too,
> since currently it seems the packages do not install any other files
> in /etc/amanda (so eliminating the wildcard would not cause any other
> files to be skipped):
>
>   $ dpkg-deb -c
> amanda-backup-server_3.5.1.git.19364c7b-1Debian99_amd64.deb | grep
> /etc/amanda drwxrwx--- amandabackup/disk 0 2019-05-15 16:45
> ./etc/amanda/ -rw-rw---- amandabackup/disk 2034 2019-05-15 16:45
> ./etc/amanda/amanda-security.conf $ dpkg-deb -c
> amanda-backup-client_3.5.1.git.19364c7b-1Debian99_amd64.deb | grep
> /etc/amanda drwxrwx--- amandabackup/disk 0 2019-05-15 16:45

Well I am down to 2 errors from amcheck

ERROR: program /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind: wrong permission, must
be 'rwsr-x---'
But that is what it almost is:
-rwsr-x--x 1 root disk 26840 May 26
21:59 /usr/local/libexec/amanda/ambind
It won't get past that point for anything if that final x isn't there

And:
ERROR: coyote: selfcheck request failed: Connection refused

According to the amanda file in /e/xinetd.d
# default: on
#
#

service amanda
{
        disable         = no
        flags           = IPv4
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = backup
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/lib/amanda/amandad
        server_args     = -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped
}

>------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic
> region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -
> http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)