On Monday 27 May 2019 08:45:58 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 27 May 2019 05:32:52 pm Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> > On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 16:48:38 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Fixed that, restarted xinetd, amcheck is happy.
> > >
> > > Step into /GenesAmandaHelper-0.61 and type ./backup.sh Daily" and
> > > gkrellm acts like its going to do it,
> >
> > Yay!
> >
> > Let us know how the dump goes, in the end...
>
> getting close. gkrellm is showing a couple hundred megs a second being
> read from sda, and being stuffed into sdd. But I think its used all of
> slot1, and has not started on slot2.  No, not yet, its still making
> 2GB gzip smunched pieces out of coyote/gene/Downloads, 8 of them so
> far.
>
> I'm gonna send this, as its been munching along for over 4 hours, but
> its not finished yet, its put 47GB in each of the two vtapes it was
> allowed, and has another 25GB piled up in dumps.  So there'll need to
> be a flush to at least one more vtape by the time it is done.  Looking
> promising Nathan.  Thanks.  I'll set it up in the amanda crontab
> tomorrow if this looks ok.
>
> > > gene@coyote:~$ sudo apt install netstat
> > > Reading package lists... Done
> > > Building dependency tree
> > > Reading state information... Done
> > > E: Unable to locate package netstat
> >
> > (The netstat command is in the "net-tools" package.  At this point
> > you don't need it, but it can be a handy tool to have when you need
> > to find out whether or not xinetd has a particular port open or
> > otherwise debug network-port activity.)
> >
> >                                             Nathan

Mine finally finished. As a first run and I didn't comment out 3/4ths of
my disklist, it took 5 47GB vtapes, and I had a runtapes=2, I had to run
2 flushes after the backup, but it all Just Worked after all the hoo hah
of getting it to work. I had, using the older amanda, and a new 2T
drive, run my mkvtapes script, but the new amanda would not use them
until I had rerun that script after installing the new amanda, so
apparently something in amlabel has been changed which caused an
incompatibility.

I just looked at the header files of the backup just completed, and

Houston, we have a showstopper problem, For 20 years that header has had
a connandline recipe in it showing how to recover the vtape to a
scratchpad area where one could then pick and choose what to copy back
if doing a bare metal recovery with nothing but tar and gzip to work
with.  And thats been handier than a turn button on the outhouse door at
a family re-union several times here.

That recovery recipe in the 32k header_must_ be restored.  ASAP. Even if
I have to blow away these 5 vtapes with nearly 240GB of data and start
over.

I also see a bug of mine thats going to screw things up, one that I never
noticed before in my wrapper script, when it uses more than one tape,
and extremely rare occurrence, it does not write over the config and
indice files for the first tape written. Nor does it write them to the
vtape.  That buglet is mine, and I'll have to fix it. One of my theories
when writing that wrapper in the first place better than a decade back,
was to have a complete set of the configs used to make that vtape, and a
full backup of the amanda database as it existed at the _end_ of that
run, appended to the end of that tape, so that if a bare metal recovery
was being done, I had enough data to recover to the exact status of the
last run, as opposed to using the 1 day stale data from that same backup
run. I can do it by hand of course, and if it only uses one vtape, the
housekeeping in my scripts Just Works.

Is anyone else here using my GenesAmandaHelper scripts?

> >-- ------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -
> > Mid-Atlantic region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services
> >  -
> > http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> > http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> > fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239
>
> Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett