On Wednesday 29 May 2019 05:00:22 pm Charles Curley wrote:

> Gene's query on the recipe for extracting in the tape headers got me
> curious. The few I looked at were complete backups. However, I also
> split my backups into chunks. Those did not have a suitable command
> line, and I'm not sure you could automate one for inclusion in the
> header.

The difference would seem to be that while I chunk it on the holding
disk, is merged on it way to the backup media, so I only get one file
per dle on the backup media.

But I'm not at all sure how it would be told to back each 2G hunk as an
individual file as it been a decade or more since I set it up to do that
in order to not confuse a 32 bit file system, back when my hair more
closely resembled the pix of me on my web page  Now its whiter and
thinner :(

> The algorithm would be:
>
> * extract from the tape and decompress the chunks.
>
> * cat the chunks into one monster file.
>
> * run tar on the monster file.
>
> That would take a lot of disk space, fortunately cheap these days.
> Still, I wonder if you could cut that down with an appropriate shell
> script loop.
>
> Is this documented? A quick search on amanda.org did not turn it up.

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)