Gene's query on the recipe for extracting in the tape headers got me
curious. The few I looked at were complete backups. However, I also
split my backups into chunks. Those did not have a suitable command
line, and I'm not sure you could automate one for inclusion in the
header.

The algorithm would be:

* extract from the tape and decompress the chunks.

* cat the chunks into one monster file.

* run tar on the monster file.

That would take a lot of disk space, fortunately cheap these days.
Still, I wonder if you could cut that down with an appropriate shell
script loop.

Is this documented? A quick search on amanda.org did not turn it up.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but