On Sunday 09 February 2020 13:48:45 Charles Curley wrote:
And back on the list
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 05:47:46 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > However, since I'm also backing up 4 other machines whose "spindles"
> > are out on the net and can and do run in-parallel, is the removal of
> > the old default a good idea?  That would, depending on the
> > scheduling, have 5 dumpers writing to the same spindle again.
> >
> > Many Thanks for any insight folks.
>
> I'm paranoid. I'd let things ride as is for a few days and see how it
> goes.
>
> Before you get rid of the old holding disk, check it for backups not
> pushed out to "tape".

It has perms to use 2 vtapes, so there is nothing left in either of the
holding disks, ever. And I am still trying to make it use higher levels,
its entirely too often it will advance half the disklist from level 2 to
level 0, doing a jump of 9 days!, and that then runs onto the 2d vtape
by half a vtape. Doesn't make any sense either when it says going to do
a level 3, then in the final report in the same email it actually does a
level 0, maybe 20 times out of a 75+ entry disklist.

So basically, I am tired of amanda lying to me. It should do what the
planner says its going to and it might eventually hit a balanced
schedule, but with something overriding the planner, there is no way in
hell it will ever get it done.

Back at about 2.4.2 I had zero trouble filling to within 50 megs, a 4GB
DS2 tape.  And that was by telling amanda the tape was 3.5Gigs, and
tagging the database GenesAmandaHelper generated onto the end of that
same tape.  Now we've had another 18 or so years of development, plus
the data to backup is now 10x what it was then and amanda has
Alzheimer's or something equally schizophrenic. I'd switch to something
else better but there's no such thing.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis