On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 08:19:58 -0500
Dave Sherohman <d...@sherohman.org> wrote:

> So let's see what the current users have to say.  Is a new amanda
> installation still a sane choice in 2020?

I think so. You have a lot more machines to herd than I do, but I don't
think that's an impediment. Add a few machines at a time and watch your
tape usage grow.

Amanda appears to be rock solid. But you'll have to talk to others
about Windows backups.

> And what kind of hardware specs should I be looking at?  Is tape still
> king, or is everyone backing up to hard drives now?

I have used virtual tapes (vtapes, in Amanda parlance) for over a
decade. I believe the practice is common. However you have a lot more
disk space to back up than I do. What are you backing up to now?

Consider multiple configurations, some of which back up to tape, and
others to vtape.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com