Or, more examples below his (since they’re lengthy.
Deb Baddorf
Fermilab

> On Oct 21, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Bernhard Erdmann <b...@berdmann.de> wrote:
>
> Am 21.10.20 um 18:24 schrieb Robert Wolfe:
>> This would be my assumption as well, but I am having issues on finding a
>> working xinetd file for that (running under RHEL 7.x and 8.x).
>
> From my second CentOS 6.10 amanda server using amanda-3.5.1:
>
> $ head -n20 /etc/xinetd.d/am*
> ==> /etc/xinetd.d/amanda <==
> service amanda
> {
>       socket_type     = stream
>       protocol        = tcp
>       wait            = no
>       user            = amanda
>       group           = disk
>       groups          = yes
>       server          = /opt/amanda/libexec/amanda/amandad
>       server_args     = -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped
> }
>
> ==> /etc/xinetd.d/amandaidx <==
> service amandaidx
> {
>       disable         = yes
>       socket_type     = stream
>       protocol        = tcp
>       wait            = no
>       user            = amanda
>       group           = disk
>       groups          = yes
>       server          = /opt/amanda/libexec/amanda/amindexd
> }
>
> ==> /etc/xinetd.d/amidxtape <==
> service amidxtape
> {
>       disable         = yes
>       socket_type     = stream
>       protocol        = tcp
>       wait            = no
>       user            = amanda
>       group           = disk
>       groups          = yes
>       server          = /opt/amanda/libexec/amanda/amidxtaped
> }
>
> From a general CentOS 7.8.2003 server using amanda-3.4.5 (getting backup
> only):
>
> $ cat /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
> service amanda
> {
>       socket_type     = stream
>       protocol        = tcp
>       wait            = no
>       user            = amanda
>       group           = disk
>       groups          = yes
>       server          = /opt/amanda/libexec/amanda/amandad
>       server_args     = -auth=bsdtcp amdump
> }

OR:

======<<  auth "bsd" >>============
amanda-client.conf  config contains    auth "bsd"     for nodes with this setup:

>   /etc/xinetd.d/amanda :
# default: off
#               This must be on for systems being backed up\
#               by Amanda.

service amanda
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = operator
        group                   = root
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}

======<<  auth "bsdtcp" >>============
If node is new enough (amanda 3.xx), put auth "bsdtcp"  in the
amanda-client.conf  config file

>  /etc/xinetd.d/amanda :
# default: off
#               This must be on for systems being backed up\
#               by Amanda.

service amanda
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = operator
        group                   = root
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}

======<<  auth "krb5" >>============
If node is new enough (amanda 3.xx) AND wants to try Kerberos:
put auth "krb5"  in the amanda-client.conf  config file

Add a file to /etc/xinetd.d named amanda with these contents:
    note that 3 lines have changed.   The USER must change to root,
          (it will lower itself as needed),
    the service name on first line is now  "k5amanda",
    and "server_args" has changed auth=krb5.
            till tested,  I'm unsure about the rest of the args on this line.
>  /etc/xinetd.d/amanda :
# default: off
#               This must be on for systems being backed up\
#               by Amanda.

service k5amanda
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        group                   = root
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
        server_args             = -auth=krb5 amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
        groups                  = yes
}

for krb5:  also edit hosts.allow
     add    k5amanda   to the amanda-services which are on the allow line