Hello, again!

You may recall my earlier question to the list, included below.  I've
now talked with my other coworkers who work with servers and they've
agreed to go with amanda for our new backup system.

Now I'd like to get some hardware recommendations.  I'm mostly unsure
about what we'll need in terms of capacity, both for processing power
and for storing the actual backups.  Less interested in specific model
or part numbers, because it will need to come from one of our approved
vendors, of course, and most likely by way of a formal tender process -
but I can say that we almost always end up buying complete Dell
rackmount systems.

The basic parameters I'm working with are:

- Backing up around 75 servers (mostly Debian, with a handful of other
  linux distros and a handful of windows machines).

- Total amount of data to back up is currently in the 40 TB range.

- Everything is connected by fast (10- or 100-gigabit) networks.

- Backup will be to disk/vtapes.

- I've been asked to have backups available for the previous 6 months.

- I'm assuming that the best way to handle backup of windows clients
  will be to mount the disk on a linux box and back it up from there,
  although some of them are virtual machines, so doing a kvm snapshot
  and backing that up instead would also be an option.

Given all that, how beefy of a box should I be looking at, and how much
disk space can I expect to need?

Also, as a side note, I'm planning on using VDO (Virtual Data Optimizer)
to provide on-the-fly data compression and deduplication on the backup
server, which should reduce disk consumption at the cost of CPU
overhead.  I'm thinking it would make the most sense to use VDO only for
the filesystem holding the vtapes, and not for the staging area, but
feel free to correct me on that.

--
Dave Sherohman