Matt Juszczak wrote:

lookup_ldap: 3861 (51%) (4 seconds) I personally don't use LDAP so I
have no idea how to improve this, or if this is as good as it gets.
But this is obviously where amavisd-new spends half its time.

Ahhh ... so we need a better pool of LDAP servers. Yeah, our LDAP servers are overloaded.

You might try to make better indexes on the LDAP server before upgrading the hardware.

Unindexed LDAP queries are very expensive! If you use a SunONE-based LDAP server its log shows unindexed queries with a "U" at the end of the line. Don't know about OpenLDAP, and there are too many versions around...

I also hacked into amavisd script and commented out unnecessary LDAP queries, that we will not need. I am now only checking for [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] . Lines involved are 2207 to 2228 in my 2.3.1.

Mark, would it be possible to add options in amavisd.conf to configure which queries should be done? So that unapplicable ones are skipped.

The output of a script that breaks down TIMING lines tells me that:

lookup_ldap: 962893 ms total; 5888 times; 163.534816576087 ms average; 38345 ms max

amavisd and LDAP server and MySQL quarantine are on three different machines. Still have to figure out why a peak of 38 seconds!

Paolo