Clifton Royston wrote:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 08:02:46AM -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:

Then, since all of my clients are businesses, they broke the law and
don't seem to care.

In fact, since they 'blast spam', they have no idea who they are
spamming anyway.

  Do have a care to understand what's going on, before you assign blame
too freely.

and DO UNDERSTAND I UNDERSTAND THAT UK.GEOCITIES.COM HAS NOT RESPONDED, AND ISN'T DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

  UK Geocities, like Geocities in the US, is a free (ad-supported)
personal webpage hosting site.

  If you look at the headers of these spams, you'll find that these
mails aren't coming from UK Geocities.  If you look at the sites of the
actual URLs (which I'm not sure I'd recommend) you'll find that the
ultimate websites they're in support of aren't hosted on UK Geocities
either.

  The MO of at least one large spam gang now is to create "springboard"
entry pages on free hosting sites; when you hit that URL, you get a
page or two which ultimately redirect you to another host where the
real site being spammed for is.  One that I know of particularly
targets Geocities, I assume because they've got some automated signup
process.  I've seen dozens of URLs and pages on Geocities in a spam
run, all with the exact same content.  They're wor

  If you could figure out a process for automatically forwarding these
to the Geocities abuse department, one per URL, it would be a good
thing; I've been able to manually forward some of these in the past and
that has helped them close down some of the sites quickly.  The contact
I eventually reached at Yahoo (owner of Geocities) said they're working
on a process for trying to detect these "springboards" and close them
automatically before they can be spammed for, but haven't got one yet.

  The reason I say I'm not sure I'd recommend looking at the sites is
that in the past this MO has been used mainly to support child porn and
rape porn sites.  Quite unpleasant content, and in many countries you
might be skirting the law just by looking at the site to see what it
is.
-- Clifton