> I have noticed a huge amount of swap usage (around 150 MB
> with 512 MB of physical RAM). So now I am trying to save
> memory as much as possible. I reduced $max_servers to 1 in
> amavisd.conf as supposed in the README.performance file.
> After a restart of amavisd-new swap usage went down under 100 MB.
>
> Besides the daemons that I need for mail, the machine runs
> bind, apache and mysql. I also limited memory usage for those
> programs as good as I can. This brought me down to around 20
> MB in swap.
>
> The problem is, that over time I still get over 100 MB swap usage.
> Obviously amavisd-new is to blame because when I just do a
> restart of it, I get down to the 20 MB swap.
>
> What I also noticed is, that there are 2 amavisd-new
> processes after my max_servers reduction (from above). Can I
> run amavisd-new with $max_servers = 0? Which other measures
> do you know to limit or to save memory?

Timo, what *has previously* been swapped is not all that interesting.  What
is much more important is how much swapping is happening as things are
running, and whether or not that is impacting your ability to process email.
You should look at the output that has been captured from your sar utility
(sar -rW) and examine how swapping is occurring over time.  Don't worry
about what's swapped out to disk now, or the peak values.

Trying to reduce processes to the point of starvation, etc. is not the best
approach - rather, and I'm sure you know the drill, adding more RAM is the
way to go.

-mike