Mark Martinec wrote:

Mike,

In Gregory's case it was a systemwide ldap problem, discovered by strace:
| I ran the strace -f and it looks like some sort of ldap (!?) problem
| now. It segfaults right after trying to load .ldaprc from the
| /var/amavis directory. Nothing mentioning ldap in my amavisd.conf file,
| however LDAP is used for other things on the system.
What steps should I take to try to fix this.

First you need to find out what is wrong.

I updated/re-installed perl and its modules and openldap works
just fine.  How do I use the "strace -f"?

man strace

for example:
 # su vscan
 $ strace -f -t -o 0.log amavisd debug

strace can also attach to an already running process,
using option -p

Is anyone else using Fedora Core 4?
If so, did amavis work out of the box?

Don't know. I'd say that for most people it would work
out of the box, otherwise we would see more complaints
on the mailing list.

 Mark

I think my perl install is just messed up. I am not sure how. All I have done is follow the INSTALL file that came with amavis. I do know that amavisd-new works fine with fedora core 4 because I tried it on one of my other FC4 machines and it runs fine. very odd.