Hans du Plooy wrote:

I'm looking into writing a SA plugin that checks message recipients against an LDAP server and assigns extra score for non-existing address.

Why?  You should reject mail to unknow recipients at smtp level.  This
is surely much less expensive because at this time you have only
received the a few lines of communication, and nothing of the body.

I know, I know. I am looking for a solution for a mid-sized ISP that has customers:

- type 1, on one LDAP server, "V.I.P." domains
- type 2, on another LDAP server (with different schema)
- outsourced, just being MX

(We cannot implement this check at Postfix-MTA level because our users are listed on two separate servers and some are 100% outsourced)
Well, how will you get a list of valid recipients in any way?  If you

Amavis boxes are just front-line MTA/MX, that then deliver to AV scanner appliances that then do a domain-based routing to the proper server. Only _then_ the proper LDAP server is queried. Amavisd queries LDAP for type 1 domains for profiling, and there are placeholder domain entries for type 2 and outsourced.

This setup, besides historical reasons, survives since the number of domains is static. If we had just one LDAP server for all mailboxes, then we'd be running reject at SMTP level!

Thank you for your inputs, Mark included.
Paolo