Aleksandr,

> amavis[60183]: (60183-01) (!!) TROUBLE in process_request: Undefined
> subroutine &Amavis::Util::check_tempdir called at
> /usr/local/sbin/amavisd line 1846

> Just got amavisd-new 2.4.0 installed (though FreeBSD ports with
> qmqpqq-patch) and that's the error I see in the /var/log/maillog when I
> send a test message.

The routine check_tempdir used to be in 2.3.3, but no longer exists in 2.4.0.
The qmqpqq-patch as distributed in 2.4.0 was in error (was not updated).

A workaround (patch) was posted some time ago, but your best
choice would be to install 2.4.1, released yesterday, which brings
a working qmail patch. Another possibility is to take a qmail patch
from 2.4.1 and apply it to 2.4.0, it is likely to work.