Peter,

> I have had a running setup using SQL (MySQL) lookups for a while now.
> Now I am rethinking the SQL config since what I have in there has ended
> up being very simple (about 20 @domain entries all pointing to the same
> default policy).  I doubt it is worth having.  I am looking for the
> main rationale behind SQL lookups (what is it designed for?).

One of the reasons in favour of SQL lookups is that amavisd need not be
restarted on changes to SQL lookup tables, and one may provide some kind
of GUI so that users can change some of their settings by themselves.
If these two points are not important, then you probably don't need
SQL for lookups on user settings.

(you still want SQL for Bayes (and maybe AWL), and perhaps for logging,
but these are all independent from SQL lookups on user settings)