Leonardo wrote:

>     Guys .... i'm sure the answer must be clear for some .... but it
> isnt clear for me what are the differences between AWL and pen pals soft
> whitelisting, the new feature of 2.4.2.

>     Can you point me some advantages and disadvantages of each one,
> comparing to the other ?

>     Thanks :)

Autowhitelist is best explained here:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist
As stated, it is not actually a whitelist, it is score
averaging system. I can't explain it better than is done there.
On occasion it will influence the score in an undesirable way.
See the link on that page: AwlWrongWay. The database can also grow to a
huge size if not properly maintained. It is simple to implement - in
fact it is turned on by default, but some sort of automated maintenance
is not well documented so too few people maintain the data.

For penpals, in release notes:
"lowers spam score of received replies (or followup correspondence) to a
message previously sent by a local user to this address;"

It is based on the premise that people you send messages to are not
likely to be spammers, so subsequent mail you receive from them can
safely get a few points knocked off the spam score.
Conceptually very simple.

If you are not currently using SQL, then some additional setup is
required (which really is not hard - but if a person has never used
SQL before then it may be hard for them to know exactly how to go
about it), and if you are not currently sending outbound mail through
amavisd-new, then that would also require reconfiguration (which may
not be insignificant in a some cases). Depending on how this part is
configured, this may also increase system load, so the feature could
potentially add processing expense.