Jim,

> Hi - Some time ago I started running into problems with amavisd hanging
> At this point no further mail is processed until daemons are restarted.
> The current configuration (aside from security updates) worked
> flawlessly for many months before these problems started.
> I have increased the amavisd debug level and it is clear that the
> problem results after 'CALLING SA check', from which amavis never
> returns. When this occurs, the child appears to be in a sleep state.
> An strace shows the following.
> A netstat shows the connections are in a CLOSE_WAIT state. The lsof
> output includes the following (I have the full output available if
> needed).
>  amavisd-n 7002 amavis    3u  unix 0xf1cea6a0         91865013 socket
>  amavisd-n 7002 amavis    4u  IPv4   91865015              TCP
> localhost:10024 (LISTEN) amavisd-n 7002 amavis    5u   REG        8,3
> 6399  5227052 /var/lib/amavis/amavis-20060728T101157-07002/email.txt
> amavisd-n 7002 amavis    6u  IPv4   92321291              UDP *:41070
> amavisd-n 7002 amavis    7u  IPv4   92321247              TCP
> localhost:10024->localhost:58311 (CLOSE_WAIT)

>  elm:~# strace -p 7002
>  Process 7002 attached - interrupt to quit
>  recvfrom(11,

What does lsof report on socket 11?

> I have looked at several of the lsof reported email.txt files and
> haven't seen anything interesting there. I have run a manual expiry on
> the Bayes database several times. I have tried disabling AWL. I have
> tried disabling all plugins in init.pre. No help there. I have also
> tried running amavisd via 'amavis debug-sa'. However when I do this it
> usually takes at least a day for the first child to hang, leaving a
> mountain of data to sift through. The only time I managed to get both
> children to fail in this mode, the last debug messages were as follows.
>
>  debug: leaving helper-app run mode
>  debug: Running tests for priority: 500

SA priority 500 seems to deal with collecting DNS responses:
  use constant HARVEST_DNSBL_PRIORITY => 500;

Could be a Net::DNS problem (try upgrading the module),
or your dns resolver problem.

>  amavisd-new    20030616p10-5
>  spamassassin   3.0.3-2sarge1
>  postfix        2.1.5-9
>  razor          2.670-1sarge2
>  pyzor          0.4.0+cvs20030
>  dcc            1.2.74-2
>  kernel-image   2.4.27-10sarge

See if SA 3.1.3 or 3.1.4 fixes the problem.
If it does, it probably does not pay off to troubleshoot further.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to find a
> better solution that hourly postfix/amavisd restarts via cron.

No need to restart Postfix, just restart amavisd if you must.