Calum,

> Much obliged Mark.  Is there any documentation about these features
> available as I can only find some release notes and a very brief
> description.

I admit the documentation is scarce. Some examples of use are
in amavisd.conf-sample, search for 'ccat'. Brief description
is in the RELEASE_NOTES, look for 'ccat' and 'category'.

The complications within %defang_by_ccat of using anonymous
subroutines and calls to policy-bank lookup through c() or ca()
is only needed for compatibility with settings which may be
in policy banks. If you know the value, it can be specified directly,
e.g. instead of:

  $defang_virus  = 1;
  $defang_banned = 1;
  $defang_undecipherable = 1;
  $defang_spam = 1;
  %defang_by_ccat = (
    CC_VIRUS,      sub { c('defang_virus')          || c('defang_all') },
    CC_BANNED,     sub { c('defang_banned')         || c('defang_all') },
    CC_SPAM,       sub { c('defang_spam')           || c('defang_all') },
    CC_SPAMMY,     sub { c('defang_spam')           || c('defang_all') },
    CC_BADH,       sub { c('defang_bad_header')     || c('defang_all') },
    CC_UNCHECKED,  sub { c('defang_undecipherable') || c('defang_all') },
    CC_CATCHALL,   sub { c('defang_all') },
  );

one can specify:

  %defang_by_ccat = (
    CC_VIRUS,      1,
    CC_BANNED,     1,
    CC_SPAM,       1,
    CC_SPAMMY,     1,
    CC_CATCHALL,   undef,
  );

or to just change a certain key/value pair in %defang_by_ccat
and leave others as they are, one can do:

  $defang_by_ccat{CC_BANNED, 1};