Marcus,

> I'd like to migrate from snert's milter-spamc to amavisd-new since
> milter-spamc is not free anymore. Are there any newer amavisd-new and
> amavisd-new-milter packages or backports for Debian sarge? The newest
> amavisd-new version on backports.org seems to be the one year old 2.3.3
> version.

Seems like 2.4.2-1 Debian packages is around the corner.
Don't know much about Debian, but Gary V gave good advise
on a number of occasions about Debian packages, search the archive.

> And is there anyone using amavisd-new in combination with sendmail +
> amavisd-new-milter and could give some feedback (stability, performance
> or howtos links etc.).

I only test it briefly, trying to spot the most obvious troubles.
Not many people use it in production, although some do.

If you need header editing, you must use Petr Rehor's milter
instead of the one supplied with the amavisd-new package.

> It seems, that most people using amavisd-new with
> postfix or sendmail dual configuration. Any arguments against a
> amavisd-new / sendmail / amavisd-new-milter + spamassassin / clamav
> configuration?

It is a pre-queue filtering setup, and suffers from its general
deficiencies (but also has some advantages, like being able
to reject mail). One does not have control on the host load,
so a mail burst can bring a mailer to its knees - which is
not the case with a post-queue filtering setup. May be fine
for a smaller site, but I would advise against such setup
in a large installation.

Also, amavisd-new is not able to split mail if it turns out
that different recipients in a multi-recipient message
would need different header edits. And usefulness of
policy banks is limited.

There may be some corner cases where nobody cared to sort
them out (like excluding notifications from being scanned again).
Why don't you try switching to Postfix, you may like it  ;)