Alexander,

> > +    binmode($self->{fh_pers}, ":bytes")
> That didn't help (even for 2.4.2). As email.txt seems to be correct,
> is there another way for amavisd-new to return the email.txt? If I
> understood the source correctly the filehandle gets passed around
> (lost count after some time),

Yes, temp file gets created once (for read and write access) and stays
open through the whole child lifetime (reset and truncated after each message)
then it is written to during incoming SMTP session, rewound,
read and copied to Net::SMTP->datasend for the outgoing SMTP session.

> maybe reopening the file with a new
> filehander, which wont be used by other perl functions as often, may
> fix my particular that problem. Or does it already work that way?

This one-liner is pretty much equivalent of what is going on within amavisd:

perl -MIO::File -e '$f=IO::File->new("0.lis","+>",0640) or die $!;
  printf("%s\n",join(",",PerlIO::get_layers($f))); print $f "\344\366\374\n";
  $f->flush or die $!; $f->seek(0,0) or die $!; $n=$f->read($b,99);
  print "$n, $b\n"; $w=syswrite(STDOUT,$b,$n)'

It should write something like:

  unix,perlio
  4, äöü

  äöü

on the screen. On some systems stdio stands in place of unix,perlio.
Could you please try it?  See also what a command 'locale' shows.