Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Gary V wrote:

>> > FWIW, amavisd/spamassassin caught and either blocked or flagged 125,667
>> > SPAM messages in 13 hours.
>>
>> I'm curious, is 250,000 (accepted) msgs/day normal traffic for you or
>> are you getting hit with a substantial dictionary attack like some
>> others? Do you reject mail to invalid recipients? What is your system
>> load and available memory like? Are you swap thrashing? Just wondering
>> if you need a bigger boat and/or you are wasting what resources you
>> have on traffic you should be rejecting.
>>
>> Gary V
>>

> Hi Gary,

> We've had a pretty large amount of spam traffic for the last couple of
> years. Right now it's getting larger all the time. Makes you wonder about
> the viability of email down the road.

> CPU loads run in the .85 to 1.40 (under heavy load), swap isn't being
> used, and there is always at least 50% available memory.

> I'm in a budget crunch and sort of have to make do. We've thought about
> filtering certain IP blocks at our edge router, but that idea is not very
> attractive to me. I'd rather find the real culprits, tie them naked to the
> back bumper of an air-conditioned car out in the middle of the desert and
> have someone drive about 5mph while I look at them out of the back window
> (drinking an ice-cold beer).

> Tom

That sounds like it is well under control as far utilization goes. If
fact, your system may be underutilized. If you have 50% unused memory,
you might increase the number of amavisd-new process ($max_servers and
complimentary maxproc for the smtp-amavis transport). I would try to
get closer to 75% unused memory. I think this would improve throughput.
What is your $max_servers at now? How much memory does a typical
amavisd process use? If you were running at 50MB per process, and you
had 400MB to play with, I would increase the number by 4 or 5, wait a
while (maybe an hour), and see where you are at again.