Henrik Krohns wrote the following on 27.10.2006 08:53:
[...]
> So is there really any benefits in using djbdns, other than that it's from a
> cool author? I remember testing it once, and it seemed a bit awkward to
> install and use.

We're pretty much off-topic, I suggest we move DNS-related talk off the
list.

I guess one's impression with djbdns depends on what one is used to. It
does handle a lot differently than e.g. BIND. I originally tried it
because I wanted a lightweight, highly secure and open source (as in
free to use with source code available, I do _not_ want to get into a
discussion about software licensing) DNS solution and BIND 8.something
wasn't really suitable, as has been confirmed by the fair number of
security flaws that have since been discovered in it since then. And
while it's a bit awkward at first, once you get the hang of it, it's
dead simple.

Basically, I haven't felt the urge to go back to BIND again, apart from
the intrigue to perhaps try out DNSSEC, but I've just recently caught up
with that and have decided that it's not worth the effort.

I really prefer the design of djbdns with all of its individual
components to a monolithic blob like BIND. I find I'm much more flexible
with djbdns than with BIND.

> Mainly I've used bind, maradns and currently powerdns. All of them are
> extremely simple to setup, from packages even more. I haven't noticed any
> differences in performance etc. I guess I need million queries a hour for
> that..

I find BIND to be rather complicated to setup and more work to maintain
than djbdns, but the latter depends a lot on individual configuration
and customisation. I've heard of maradns and powerdns and have been
wanting to test them, but haven't got around to it yet. As I said above,
though, I currently have no incentive to switch. I agree that for many,
if not most people, the differences in performance between the different
DNS server products don't really matter.

Cheers,
Tobias