I know that I mentioned Postfix in the subject but I think the behaviour
I'm witnessing is caused by Amavisd-new.

I am building up lots and lots of messages caught in my postfix queue with
the following message:

(host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 421 4.3.2 Service shutting down, closing
channel (in reply to end of DATA command))

This appears to be Amavisd-new rejecting the message from being accepted
for scanning.  Most mail seems to be coming through fine, so in general
the system is working.  I looked into the issue and noticed that every
message that is being rejected has a '?' (question-mark) character as part
of the sender address.  Is amavisd-new intentionally rejecting this
messages?  If so wouldn't it be better to reject using a 500 code rather
than a 400?

All the messages causing this message do appear to be Spam BTW, so
delivery isn't an issue.  It's just that they're cluttering up the queue.

Thanks.

Mike Gaskins