Gary wrote:

>>> I get the same thing, even with Perl 5.8.8

>> I have Perl 5.8.4 on Debian Sarge (with a little bit Etch ;))

> What is interesting is I can't even get 1.06 to compile. In fact I
> can't even build a Debian package of version 1.06 using the source
> package Debian provides. Makes me wonder how someone came up with a
> .deb package. On a test system I even tried a different kernel and
> different version of libc6 to no avail. Oh well, I'll simply use the
> pre-compiled etch package. Too bad it's not 1.08. I imagine we won't
> see 1.08 since etch is probably in 'freeze' mode right about now.

Sarge uses gcc 3.3.5 (4:3.3.5-3) and etch uses 4.1.1 (4:4.1.1-15). I
was able to compile Convert::UUlib with the newer version of gcc. I
guess all I need is a gnu compiler. ;)

The bad news is if you try to install the testing version of gcc on a
stock sarge system it will remove the kernel (isn't Debian great?).
It won't even be kind enough to give you a new one. This is the sort
of thing I warn about: http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/kernel.html

~# apt-get -t testing install gcc
<...>
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  base-config initrd-tools kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386
  cpp-4.1 gcc-4.1 gcc-4.1-base libssp0 tzdata
  binutils cpp gcc libc6 libc6-dev libgcc1 locales
7 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 3 to remove and 211 not upgraded.

After upgrading initrd-tools with initrd-tools_0.1.84.1_all.deb
per my instructions (and then putting the package on hold) I was
able to install gcc without it removing or replacing the kernel but
in general I think this is all too risky for most people. Installing
the pre-compiled 1.06 package from etch may be a better choice for
some, but at some point in the near future (when etch goes stable) we
are all going to have to move to etch in order to keep our systems
updated.

~# apt-get -t testing install gcc
<...>
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  base-config
  cpp-4.1 gcc-4.1 gcc-4.1-base libssp0 tzdata
  binutils cpp gcc libc6 libc6-dev libgcc1 locales
7 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 1 to remove and 212 not upgraded.