Jeff,

> >> Done, and this did produce more output. FuzzyOcr is being called by the
> >> vscan user, and produces exactly the same log output as other users,
> >> with no errors.
> >> Still no scores from it in the headers for the vscan user.
> >> Does that give a clue?

> 2.3b from ports.

Well, I don't know. I've been using 2.3b in the past (now we are at 3.5.1)
and it's been behaving the same: either invoked from a command line as user
vscan, or from amavisd, adding its score contribution to the final SA score,
and adding its test names that were triggered to the %T macro
(if you have the following line (without an initial '#')
in $log_templ:  [? %#T ||, Tests: \[[%T|,]\]]#   )
The list of tests is also in X-Spam-Status of a quarantined message.

Btw, the beta versions of 3.5.0 had some issues with amavisd,
but that did not produce the effect you describe.
Perhaps you should carefully compare again both SA logs.