Giampaolo,

> 1) it could consume even less cpu and memory;
> 2) using a pipe to vector data to the p0f-analyzer.pl is an ugly technique
[...]

I have nothing against extending p0f to satisfy queries with missing port
numbers, actually I'm very happy someone decided to do this eventually.

Writing p0f-analyzer.pl was just my quick solution to an immediate problem.
If p0f will provide an UDP-based query protocol (or some other mechanism
to be able to answer queries from a remote host) and be able to supply
the information, I can easily adjust client code in amavisd-new to take
advantage of it. I chose UDP because it is very lightweight and does
not require making up and tearing down sessions, or keeping evidence
of clients in the server's IP stack. A potential packet loss is not
serious, and is rare on the same LAN.

> > Make sure to consider IPv6 addresses in new development work.
> Actually, p0f is not designed to sample any activity on the IPv6 stack

I know, and that is quite unfortunate, as we are missing p0f info on
mail that arrives over IPv6.  I just wanted to put you in the right
direction when devising a protocol, so that it won't need to be changed
when p0f eventually starts supporting snooping on IPv6. Hint, hint...

> It will be dst-address/dst-port/src-address/src-port/nonce.
> Wildcards can be applied to the src-port field.

Perfect.